LGSD Parents, Staff & Stakeholders,
A few moments ago Governor Kate Brown spoke at a press conference. Here is a brief summary of her remarks and the impacts on our schools, staff, and students:
Message From our Governor and Oregon Health Authority:
- Large gatherings (250+ people) are suspended through April 8th. This applies to organized public gatherings, not stores, malls, etc.
- Schools are not being closed, but non-essential school activities such as parent meetings, allowing spectators at sporting events, and field trips are cancelled.
The Governor emphasized that school closure will be a last resort.
The Governor emphasized that these measures are being taken to:
1. Slow transmission of COVID-19 and
2. Preserve hospital capacity for the most severely impacted individuals.
As is relates to Oregon State Athletic Association:
- Per guidance from the OHA and the Governor, only participating students and coaches, essential event staff personnel and media with OSAA-issued credentials will be allowed to attend OSAA State Championship events.
- Fans will be able to watch all games from each state championship site this week via the NFHS Network (https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/associations/osaa). Additionally, all games will have free streaming audio via the OSAA Radio Network at (http://www.osaa.org/radio-network). Live game stats will also be available through the OSAA website. Daily stories from each championship site will be available on OSAA today at www.osaa.org/today.
Governors Message To School Officials: In addition to previous guidance issued on March 8, 2020 to keep schools open, all non-essential school-associated gatherings and group activities should be canceled — such as group parent meetings, field trips, and competitions.
LGSD school impact due to the news from Governor Brown and in conjunction with OHA priorities for those with compromised immune systems we shall implement the following guidelines:
- All field trips for students are cancelled for the next 4 weeks with the potential to reschedule
- All school sponsored large group gatherings for parents and community will be cancelled or rescheduled.
- Staff will not be attending professional development events outside the district. Student travel as it relates to Sports season will continue per OSAA guidelines any other travel situations with staff or students will be handled on a case by case basis.
This is an evolving situation and the safety and well-being of students and staff is our top priority.
For more updates check our website and information resources website at: https://lagrandesd.org/covid-19-information-and-resources