LGSD Parents, Staff & Stakeholders,
In light of last night’s announcement from the Governor about ALL Oregon schools being closed from March 16-31. At this time, the current plan is to have schools re-open on Wednesday, April 1 for students.
Extending spring break is seen a preventative measure to help slow the rate of spread of coronavirus and, as public health agencies explain, flatten the curve of the virus’s impact on our citizens and health care systems. We are also sensitive to the fact that many of our staff, students, and their loved ones fit into an at risk or vulnerable population that is more susceptible to complications to the illness. The current goal is to limit exposure.
Due to Governors Announcement, LGSD will implement the following procedures for school operations:
- Today, March 13, 2020 will be the last day of practice until April 1, 2020. During this time, all school activities, including athletic events and practices, are cancelled.
- La Grande School District will have "grab and go" sack lunches available for pickup by students at the main entrance of the three elementary schools for one week starting on Monday. Students will need to provide their student ID number when picking up a meal and the standard meal pricing still applies for children and adults. Meals will be available for pick up between 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM; Contact Chris Panike at 541-663-3206 or chris.panikelagrandesd.org should you need assistance.
- Teaching and clerical staff are expected to return on Monday, March 30, two days earlier than students return. We will work on plans that accommodate the ongoing impact of Coronavirus.
- Classified Para professional staff are expected to return on Tuesday, March 31, one day earlier than students return. There is a chance this information could change.
- All Administrators and District Office Staff are expected to work March 16-20.
- I will be in contact with state and local health officials to assess and confirm or adjust return dates; My current goal is to give all stakeholders an update by Wednesday, March 25.
- Teachers and classified para professionals are expected to be out of LGSD buildings until March 30, Unless asked to come in.
- During this time, school districts must ensure adequate cleaning supplies and increase cleanliness; This means the all custodial staff and maintenance staff need to continue to work cleaning and sanitizing high-touch surfaces in classrooms and common areas; This will also allow for more time to deep clean certain areas that staff and students utilize. Staff may also spend time further developing increased cleaning protocol once students and staff return.
- The Oregon Department of Education will examine the impact the closure will have on instructional time. This means more news to come on makeup days, etc.
LGSD understands that extending spring break will cause difficulties for many families who rely on their schools for meals, health care, and a safe place to be during the day. We greatly apologize for any inconvenience
during this break in service. During the break, we encourage everyone in our community to follow recommended practices by avoiding large gatherings, washing hands frequently, and covering mouths when
coughing or sneezing. Those experiencing symptoms of the cold or flu should stay at home until symptom-free for 72 hours.
This is an evolving situation and the safety and well-being of students and staff are our top priority. Please check our website and Facebook site for more information.